Friday, March 02, 2007

Outa Shape....

Yesterday I helped some friends in painting their new place, and by the end of the day, I was very tired and sore. I am not writing to complain,b ecause I enjoyed helping, but to bring up a thought.

When I went right from painting to a Mexico training meeting, I thought to myself, down there we will b edoing many kinds of work, including physical labour to help out. Should I teach, based ont eh painting lesson I learned, that there is a component of service and our worship through service that may apply to our worhsip through service that may mean we do a little to be mroe in shape, ready for the trip? It is probably a non issue for most of the team, who ar eyounger than me or don't ahve a desk job, so i am not sure if I should bring it up or just adjust my own life accordingly and be quiet.

I just thought to myself, in my current state, sinc esurgery (no longer a valid excuse) I will nto be able to go as hard out there as I did 2 years ago. Is it a part of my prep and worship through service to be physically ready to serve more out there? Should I alos teach a bit on this, and how?

Would love your thoughts.

Mike

4 comments:

LJE said...

interesting thoughts....i think the physical work is definitely a part of what happens down there, and at very least the kids should be aware that there will be some physical demands placed on them. Not sure what form that discussion could take, or how in-depth it needs to go....hmmm...

Lindsay said...

Please be very careful if you choose to say anything. Teens, especially girls are already very self conscious about their bodies. Any comment, especially from a man could be damaging. But I'm sure you knew that. Thanks for all your help with the painting, by the way, we were in over our heads and we didn't even know it at first!

Jay said...

I think a mention of it to them would be good. Reading some if the Thin Within literature included in the bulletin one week made a good point when it said that self imposed physical limitations that hamper your ability to minister isn't a good thing. I think looking at it as a way to be a better minister is a positive way to view being/getting into shape.

Anonymous said...

Yeah... Lindsay had a good point. Even reading this post made me go "eek" just a little bit. Not that i'm unable to do physical work... just that you have to be rediculously cautious with how you say things if you do. We don't want to discourage anybody... and if I am to be honest, I found reading this post a little bit discouraging as i've never been the most fit person I know. Anyway, that's my two cents.