Tuesday, February 05, 2008

Naturally?

I don't think I am overly hard on myself about my abilities or anything, but I have made one observation, i think.

Nothing comes naturally to me. I thought about this at dance last night. We are working on stuff for a performance dance team, and I thought I was a pretty good dancer, and still think I am, but I have to work so hard at it to get it, where as others just get it. Same with water skiing or a musical instrument. I am a good skier, on tricks, but every trick comes with a high price of hours of work and hard falls. my coach has stated that once I get a trick, it is perfect for good, but it takes so much to get it. Same with the Sax, or guitar. On the sax, I played 3 hours a day for 6 months to get into the U of S College of Music. I got i, but it was tough. On guitar, I have stayed at the same level for years, because I dont have time o play every day. And knowing that it doesn't come naturally, i know i will not improve in my ability unless I quit my day job (not going to happen).

Even keeping this blog going does not come naturally to me.

What about you? What do you think. What comes easily to you?

4 comments:

enji said...

writing. i will always love the freedom i have with writing.

there has to be something you are natural at...

LJE said...

i would have to say connecting with people comes naturally to you, mike....

Pastor Pepsi said...

Thank you lynette, I appreciate that. I also wish I could trade that in until midnight March 29 for the natural ability to swing dance to 'simply irresistible', lol.

enji said...

you, know i really REALLY wish i did not just read that because now i'm going to have this image of mike bendel trying to dance seared into my mind... ugh