Wednesday, January 10, 2007

What is it about childhood memories at this stage in my life?

I can barely describe to you how powerful some childhood memories have been ove rthe last few months. We are not talking about life altering moments in my childhood, but getting to expereience some of the fun stuff that characterized my time. We always have fun reliving some of this stuff, but recently it has become more than that to me.

some of those things include, but are not limited to a) the re-release of transformers generation 1, which i am very excited about, though it won't change my life, ministry, or family, and b) last night i recorded and watched later on the Biography on the 'Wonder Years'. That show was the one I watched every day after school as a younger boy. I expereienced with Kevin Arnold some of the things he was going through. I gained wisdom from the voice over and it's insights, and sometimes thought in terms of that reflective voice over when looking back on some of my experiences, days. (sorry, dont think I am crazy, lol. Either know for sure that I am or leave it alone.)

So that almost brought me to tears watching key moments in the series relived in the 'Biography.' I have been recording episodes since Christmas on TV Tropolis, but they are now stopping that run too. That doesn't crush me, I will watch what I have when i have time, (maybe summer, or late at night) but for now I wonder why this stuff is grabbing me so? Open to your thoughts.

Mike

2 comments:

Pastor Pepsi said...

Also, open to what things from your childhood grab you like that?

Greg said...

Hey Mike,

The reason "The Wonder Years" grabs you so much is because it is SO FRIGGIN' EMOTIONAL!!! Man, they made that show a tear-jerker. It's sad, really, that the producers can manipulate one's emotions like that. They try to make it seem all poignant, but it's really just audience manipulation. (But, don't get me wrong, I love that show too. The best one is the one where Wayne gets his driver's license. I think I need to download that Biography...)

The thing from my childhood that grabs me like that are the old vingettes from Sesame Street. I am on the hunt for some specific ones.

-Jessica, not Greg (but Greg's wife...)