Friday, April 27, 2007

Community Living

I am not talking about small groups or church stuf fhere, but the organization that collects slothes, etc, for less fotunate in town. They were coming for a pick up today, so we saw it as a great opportunity to pruge the closets, etc. Mine needed more purging than amanda's.

Going through, I have a lot of shirts,and I know that, but most of them were under $7, so I am not sure if I feel bad for havin g alot of shirts or what? I sent away a few of the stripe button ups that i love to wear but sleaves are too short after a horible run in with the dryer. I also sent many pairs of shorts that are a32 waiste, which is just not me any more. Also, many t-shirts made it in, sicne I have alot from camps, etc, but most of those were for free. I could not let go of dallas valley shirts (I love that camp) and former mexico team shirts (is that bad)

That is what made it in there, but interesting to note what did not make it in. A montreal canadien's jersey that no longer fits. I was going to put that in, but Amanda , a toronto fan who hates montreal, encouraged me to keep it,, like an heil-loom. I was surprised, but I kept it.

Regardless of my decisions or reflections upon them, the bags are gone now, and I can give more next time, but I can't get back what I gave.

What type of stuff do you need to purge? What is the one thing you ahve that could or should go, but will never?

4 comments:

Jay said...

T-shirts Mike. I have a closet of shirts that haven't been worn for years. I know of two shirts that are brand new and are still hanging there. There are a lot of old boxes from electronics that need a new home in the recycle bin also. A person holds on the them in case a return is needed then the year/warranty expires and there sits an old box.

LJE said...

we did a purge a couple weeks ago for the diabetes ass'n pickup, i faced the same questions you hilited in this post.

I honestly think that some clothes have sentimental meaning and should be kept as memories and such - my briercrest hall shirts, my kadesh staff shirts, etc. I too would have said "Keep the montreal jersey!".

(i am not good at purging)

Angie said...

I think sometimes I too easily purge. I do have a few pairs of jeans though that were my favorite jeans until I lost some weight, and now they don't fit at all. I am thinking that I should get rid of them so they are not an incentive to gain back the weight I lost.

Lindsay said...

I've got a wide range of textbooks I haven't been able to let go of yet. Everything from programming with c++ to modern physics to educational psychology. I really should get rid of them.