Wednesday, January 14, 2009

I am done saying 'no'. As I stare at another e-mail from Jake's would be soccer coach, but we don't have time to take him, have not had time to take him, I think to myself, I am sorry Jake, but next year I won't say no to soccer. As I try to get a student of a significant leader to a meeting they knew about 2 months in advance, on a team they requested to be on in leadership, and they say they cannot, because of a sports team commitment, I am done saying 'no' to my son's sports or other opportunities.

As I think about how much I value small group, and have for 8 years here at EBC, to the point where our small groups ahve multiplied many times, and are now to the point of sending out so many small group leaders that we now have one that is people not ready, able, willing or likely to lead, cause the leaders ahve all been sent, I am done saying no to thursday nights with my kids. That small group is something I value, but as I stare at this soccer email that Jake doesn't even know exists, I think about other leaders, co-labourers, whos kids are not only in these kinds of things, but they are able to coach these things for their kids.
I will continue a small group, on Sunday Nights, if and only if, at our team meetings this year we agree as co-laboourers, that this is a value for all, not for some, who sacrifice their other options while others take those options.

I think about the community association, and the drop in night. Other than help, thigns are going great, great bridge building, great attendance, etc. (the sr high one, not so much, they do not deserve or value it). The community association will ahve me in another way next year though. A soccer coach, or something like it, on jake's team. I have given tis thing 5 years, and it has been worth it, but I can't be committed to 4 nights a week every week before any other meetings are even discussed. It is not fair to Jake. I am done saying no to him like that, escially as I fight to get other kids to commit to the types of things that we are supposed to value, and Jake will be forced to value, because dad doesn't ahve time for any other things.

I now am but an hour away from facing a meeting where I will be (possibly rightly so) judged and evaluated, and likely sanctioned for my inability to get paperwork stuff in as I am responsible for. One would think this should not be to hard to do successfully. I I have thought about that alot, and if every time I am in this building, I am getting ready for the next thing, the next event, because they are at a minimum, 4 times a week, then yes, yes, it is difficult, to simply deal with the paper. Why, because as you come in the door, and should just deal with it right awya, that is tough, because you are literally running to the next thing.

sorry, blog, for saying no to you so much. That may not change, but I wanted to say to you today, I am done saying no to Jake. He will not understand, or think it's fair, when he hears what the otehr kids get to do, and that's at the staff christmas party, not at school.

If, somehow you are a reader of this, lol, and ant to reply, reply on here or to me directly, don't think you are helping by asking around about me, etc.

Good morning, happy wednesday.

2 comments:

Jay said...

I think your workload is too much Mike. I don't know what I could do to help, but if there is something please let me know.

Protect your family; your marriage. I know it's not you to say no to wanting people, but give it a try on the small things. Start redirecting them to someone just as capable to serve, but not with such a full plate.

I don't mean to be Mr. Advice, but I want the benefits of your sabbatical to be whittled away too quickly.

Unknown said...

Pastor, I just read your blog and I pray that you have things in order. When I read about all that you have to do, I thought about the experiment where the person fills a jar with balls, then pebbles, then sand and then water (coffee). I pray that you've put first things first. The time with your son as a child is very temporary. God be with you and yours.