Thursday, November 24, 2005

The problem with going to fast...

Don't tell my loving and forgiving wife this story, who is the co-owner of the car that is part of this story.

Not sure if anyone is familar with teh massive speed bumps in the Preston Crossing parking lot, more like an almost over pass for pedestrians all around the lot. Anyways, on Tues, was in a rush to pick up stuff for Jr. High that night, and hit one of those ramps. For teh first time since I had my 86 Capri in a construction job, I bottomed out a car, it was not fun. The car is alright, but t was not to be repeated.

Another experience of bottoming out because of going to fast for too long happend hours before the below mentioned sermon. I was frustrated not so much at getting the sermon ready, but that there was very little transition time between my abundance of events that i run or speak at, etc, and even less leadership 'dream' time, which is needed to be an effective leader. In my bed, and at my desk, I prayed for hours asking God to do something dramatic enough to me that i would have a legitimate excuse for quitting, without it looking like I was quitting. (since sharing this with another friend, he said he once prayed for a heart attack so that he could quit the stress of ministry as well. not sure if they were serious or not) Anywasy, for the first time, I think I hit feelings much deeper than situational, cause I could see the end of the busyness for the day, but could not see the end of the feelings of just wanting out. I would be curious to know what one calls depression, or circumstancial. actually the question I asked myself was wondering if this was the beginning of what my former pastor felt shortly before he retired early after crashing from depression and anxiety.

The story ends with me remembering my up-bringing, that though this is a rare trait, I think, Bendel men go to work and get the job done regardless of how they are feeling. (never seen my dad use workers comp or sick time) I prayed for strength to go on, and apparently the sermon was alright, lol. I feel better now.

2 comments:

Joel said...

Ah, you know you've grown up when you bottom out a car and instead of thinking "Wow, I caught some good air on that one!", you think "Wow, I hope I didn't put a hole in the muffler!" And don't worry, I won't tell Amanda...though she's left a comment on your site...hmmm... I smell disaster

Amanda said...

That's right buddy! No more driving comments from you after this one!