Tuesday, December 05, 2006

So those winter tires saved a big accident yesterday.

Travelling over the attridge overpass at 60 (posted limit) towards Canadian tire, an older couple in a truck come in off the freee way ramp, and do a tripple lane change right in front of me doing 30 and never speeding up. I slammed on the brakes (it was not the kind of close where you could just slow down) and my car angled a bit but continued to travel forward, slowiing down pretty quickly, while I layed my chest on teh horn. I came easily within 18 inches of them, and they never tried to change bakc or speed up. I am sure the other tires would have had me spin more around or continue faster forward.

Here is where the human side of me comes out. i intentionally parked right beside them in the lot as we were headed to same store, and as we got out, i asked him if he had any clue how dangerous that lane change of his was. they put their heads down and walked away quickly into the store. I think they could have at least appologized, but I will try not to cling to my rights, I guess. I have asked God to forgive my anger, but my attitude still is that they can at least say something about their stupid move. I make lots of mistakes, but at least I can admit when I did.

Would it have been 'my fault' in the eyes of SGI, since technically it would have been a rear end collision? Anyways, I hold to my belief that hesitant and slow drivers cause as many accidents as overly agressive ones. It is not a snotty arrogant statement, but teh truth, unless this day we all agree to drive 30 on 3 lane major roads during fair conditions.

That is my thought for the day, happy driving.

Mike

3 comments:

Jay said...

I hear your irritation Mike. There are days that it is probably best that I need one hand on the gas & brake and the other on the wheel or I would be more of a honker. I think that if it were an accident it would not be your fault due to the illegal lane changes but still. I hope the jump in your heart caused by this eases quickly.

LJE said...

glad the accident was averted. i have believed for a long time that the problem with driving in saskatoon is the combination of old, super cautious slow people and young, aggressive impatient drivers (of which you are neither, lol). But that combination can be very very bad, i'm amazed there aren't more bad accidents than there are. But there's probably hundreds of close calls like yours on any given day.

Glad you're safe.

Lindsay said...

You were obviously cut off in this case. I tend to err on the side of slowness and caution, when driving though, especially when driving my van with its crappy all seasons and brakes that aren't in top shape. It's not that I like driving slow, its just that due to the condition of my van, I would be more likely to hurt myself or someone else if I were going too fast.