Friday, February 24, 2006

Poured out like a drink offering

Extra Strength?

So it has happened, my body has changed, I ahve become what I spent 9 years trying not to. I now must take two extra strength Tylenol to get back to sleep at night, after waking from neck pain. I have spent the better part of my life using drugs sparingly, so that when you need them, for real, they work, and work well right now. Children's tylenol used to make me drowsy, like ony 3 years ago, and one regular strength anything would take care of the problem and any sleep needs for a few hours.

I liked that because many people around me all through high school and beyond pop pills for every little headache, as uposed to stretching out the tension, changing lifestyle, or toughing it out. Many of those same people do not experience the same relief I used to from one of anything, even a sniff of nyquill from the cap.

Anyways, i am no doctor, but I have now joined what I call the pain killer arms race, where the pain doesn't get worse, but your body's response to the help does. At superstore, you can't even buy regular strength anything as far as pain killers go. The whole shelf was either extra strength, or now 'super strength'. Yay, let's turn it up another notch.

2 comments:

Joel said...

Tell me about it. I've been taking 4 extra strength whatevers a day just so I can eat. Stupid dentists, being all slow and whatnot.

Jay said...

May I add to the discussion? With my chiropractor on holidays I too have been forced to rely on Tylenol to rest properly. I am very thankful for my wife's massage therapy education and generous application to my sore shoulder/rib but unfortunately her treatments only last for about 36 hours.

Yes, I know that there are other chiropractors but not many as accessible as the Market Mall Chiro clinic and the other doctor there is a woman. No I don't have issues with that, but the positioning my guy needs to get into, stradling my chair & legs, chest to chest, cheek to cheek wouldn't be very comfortable even in the most professional of circumstances for myself and this other doctor so I'll wait until next Monday to hear that "crack". Fortunately for me there is a 10-14 day relief. You guys have none but pain killers right now.